The German School of San Francisco is a non-profit organization founded in 1935. We are the oldest German language school in the Western United States. We offer:
- Saturday morning classes (9:30 am to 12:00pm or 12:30 pm) in a convenient location
- Classes for children 24 months and up
- Adult classes offered at various proficiency levels
- Qualified, experienced and yearly evaluated teaching staff
- Small classes (Child-teacher ratio of 8-1 maximum)
- Semester report cards
- Preparation for the AATG (National Association of Teachers of German) tests, levels 1-4
- Preparation for the DSD (Deutsches Sprachdiplom) 1 and possibly 2, Advanced Placement like tests administered by the German government (BVA)
- Latest study materials imported from Germany
- Multi-national student body
- Traditional cultural events
- Affordable rates
Our Approach to Learning
We believe all children have different learning styles and develop at their own pace.
To learn a language, students need to be actively involved in the learning process, experiencing a variety of developmentally appropriate activities and materials. We recognize that young children learn through play, movement, music and hands-on activities, and our curriculum incorporates traditional children’s games, puppet-theater and play-acting, and songs, arts and crafts from Austria, Germany and Switzerland. Each semester concludes with a festive celebration where the classes perform for friends, family and the school community.
To ensure quality instruction, teachers are selected both for their knowledge of German and for their teaching ability. Instructors are evaluated yearly by the school’s administration.
Board of Directors
The School is administered by a parent board of directors elected during the annual membership meeting in February. Board members volunteer their time and talents to the school and are responsible for enrollment, fundraising, special event planning, and other aspects of the school’s operation.
Parents are encouraged to support their children’s language studies by attending membership meetings, supporting the school events, and getting involved with fundraising activities.
The German School of San Francisco is a member of the German American School Association of Northern California (GASANC).